Here are 8 tips that I feel will help a small business succeed in handling the “human” aspect of the business.
- Hire slow, fire fast. Select people carefully, fire judicially, but don’t drag it out.
- Know what skills are needed to do the job correctly and hire to those, even if it is a friend.
- Know what laws apply to you, at what company size and prepare for them.
- Set your systems up correctly and ahead of time. Don’t play catch-up later.
- Get a handle on the paperwork right away.
- Don’t think you can ignore the laws just because you are small. Just because nothing bad has happened doesn’t mean you are safe.
- Seek professional advice when you need it. Be cautious with “free” advice.
- Treat your employees with respect and dignity. Nothing will get you into trouble quicker than unhappy employees.
Anything you think should be added?
Sign up for free HR Solutions updates via email