To mark the 20th anniversary of the Family and Medical Leave Act the US Department of Labor made new FMLA regulations effective on March 8th. These new regulations include changes in the following areas:
- Increase and clarify scope of military exigency leave;
- Extend military caregiver leave;
- Cleared up airline flight crew employees FMLA eligibility requirements;
- Gave a better explanation on the calculation of increments of intermittent FMLA leave
- And requires a new poster to be posted.
The new poster
Rather than buying a new poster with the requisite changes download by clicking here. It will save you some money. Just print it and post it over the old poster on your 5-in-1 posters.
The Final Rules
I am giving you three sources on the final rules.
First is the USDOL’s own explanation: Final Rule
Next is a superb explanation by the attorneys of Seyfarth Shaw: Department of Labor Issues New FMLA Regulations
Lastly is another good explanation by the attorneys of Ogletree Deakins: DOL Issues Final Rule Regarding FMLA Changes for Military Caregivers and Flight Crew
Between these three resources you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what needs to be done to alter your policies to comply with these new regulations.
Sign up for free HR Solutions updates via email