1000 Posts at Omega HR Solutions

by Michael Haberman on October 9, 2012 · 14 comments

Michael D. Haberman, SPHR, consultant, writer, coach, teacher and all around curious guy.

Today is a special day at Omega HR Solutions. This is the 1000th post. I pondered what I should write about and decided to take the advice of my friend Bill Ramsey. He suggested that not everyone who reads my blog really knows who I am and thus I should make this post biographical. So here is my brief autobiography.

Early life

I grew up the oldest of four boys, a father in the military for my first 18 years and a mother who took on the challenge of handling four boys all within 9 years of age. I had the opportunity to live in a variety of places and went to about 12 different schools. This gave me the opportunity to learn how to make friends quickly, but also to learn how to forget them just as quickly, since the likelihood of seeing them again was slim. My father retired in Southern California so I did have the opportunity to go to high school and college in one place.

A significant influence in my high school life was my psychology teacher, so when I headed off to the University of California I majored in Psychology, studying monkeys. I had a particular interest in Lana the chimpanzee, a project being conducted at the Yerkes Primate Center in Atlanta, Georgia, so I applied to go to school at Georgia State University in order to work with the Ph.D. who was conducting the research. Although the work was interesting, for a variety of reasons I opted to not continue my education in psychology and stepped away after 3 years. By this time my wife, Sherry, and I had started a family and I thought it best to enter the business world.

My HR beginnings

Having no business experience I was not qualified to do anything so an employment agency put me to work placing clerks and that is what got me interested in HR. I decided I wanted to be on the other side of the phone and ended up working for a packaging company in the personnel department as a trainee. I was sent to a Chicago plant to become their first personnel manager in the only unionized plant in the company. This was invaluable experience that has served me well today. After 3 years I was brought back to corporate to take on the role of Corporate Recruiting Manager where I was responsible for all hiring of exempt employees. Again this was invaluable experience. During this time I returned to college working on a graduate degree in Human Resources and was successful getting a Master’s Degree.

One day I received a call from a recruiter wondering if I might be interested in an opportunity with a software company. After 10 years at the packaging company it was time to move on so I took the opportunity and moved to a fast growing company. Unfortunately in such a rapid changing industry as software things can go wrong as quickly as they were going good. So after a year and a half I found myself in the position of looking again.

Beginning consulting

I lived in a neighborhood where my neighbors were business managers and owners. Playing tennis with these men on a tennis team they would ask me questions about what I thought they should do with problem employees. One of the owners suggested I should start a consulting practice focused on small business. So when the software company collapsed I said “That is my sign, so here is my sign.” I started MDH Consulting in 1991 and have not looked back. I helped form Omega HR Solutions in 2000 and after a number of changes in the company it is what it is today. We still focus on small business.

The Blog

Six years ago I started writing and it has developed into what you see today. I write heavily on compliance issues but I like writing about all things HR, so you will find posts on talent, recruiting, engagement, compensation, and leadership. I am a voracious reader, but I am not a recluse, so I enjoy networking opportunities. I teach HR and have done so for 15 years or so. I am working on developing my speaking career and I am working on publishing my first book by the end of 2012. I am a major advocate of using social media to advance the field of HR and I am passionate about companies doing “great” HR.

This has turned into a longer post than I intended, so I will end with this “Thank you.” Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting. Thank you for refering me to other readers. We have some exciting things that will be happening in the next couple of months so stay tuned.

Susan Young October 9, 2012 at 9:02 am

Congratulations on your 1,000 post and the success you have had in business!
Cheers,
Susan

Michael Haberman October 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Susan, thank your for the kind remark.

Bill Ramsey October 9, 2012 at 9:21 am

CONGRATS! Quite a feat of determination, discipline, and sheer love-of-your-work to hit the 1000th blog. Attaboy!

Michael Haberman October 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Thank you Bill. I appreciate your support and friendship.

Greg October 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Mike,
Congratulations on achieving this milestone! You have always been a tremendous addition to my network, a coach to help me in my career and a treasured friend and colleague. It is clear to all who know you that you are happy and content with what you are doing. That is just great to see. I always look forward to seeing the latest bits of wisdom from you and appreciate your dedication and determination in this endeavor. I’ll be wanting an autographed copy of the book!!
Keep up the good work Mike and let me know if I can do anything to help you,

Greg

Michael Haberman October 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Thank you for your kind remarks. I have valued your friendship for many years as well as your wise counsel and sense of humor.

Lisa October 10, 2012 at 8:12 am

Mike,
Congratulations! What an achievment – 1000 blogs. That’s lots of words of wisdom and caution. Thank you for taking the time to do this each day and for your willingness to freely share what has made you sucsessful. Wishing you much, much more!
Lisa

Michael Haberman October 10, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thank you Lisa. Very kind of you to say.

Sandrine Bardot October 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Michael
A quick calculation : you have posted 3 times per week on average for 6 years. Congratulations, you are an inspiration to other HR bloggers and your commitment shines :-) !
What will your book be about ?
Sandrine

Michael Haberman October 12, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Sandrine:
Thank you for the comments. I now post 5 times a week every week. Additionally I also publish for Blogging4Jobs, SmartRecruiters and several other sites. My book will be a compilation of blog posts on discrimination and will be called The Big Book of ISMs or some other such catchy title. Thanks for asking.

http://bigboxnutcoupons.com September 8, 2014 at 9:20 pm

When you are around the search for a luxurious phone then you
definitely must be sure that you simply get enquired enough relating to
this cell phone before anyone switch on to another alternative.

Today, corporations all over the US are participating
to improve the awareness in regards to the risks of distracted driving.

hostingbusinessforums.com September 23, 2014 at 6:13 am

Cost should not be considered a requirements to distinguish which can be advantageous to our health;
nevertheless in the place of squandering money constantly
go through the materials. The significance to getting ample calcium within the body is frequently disregarded by many people.

remembered the discount September 29, 2014 at 5:06 am

These designs let users to check out the lower
part when they desire to examine or do something regional;
and look in the upper element, where number contacts
are mounted, once they want to notice in the range.
It’s very easy to scuff or hurt the contacts of the attention eyeglasses
so I have included many ideas so that you can keep these magnificent.

Zenni Optical coupons October 12, 2014 at 7:02 am

Payday advances are certainly not lines of credit, and you are to repay them
inside a certain period of time.