What have I been reading you ask (well you may not be asking but go with the premise)? I have selected five for Friday…. Great reads in HR.
- First up is Stephanie Thomas @ProactiveStats writing at Compentsation Cafe. Her topic is one I frequently get asked about by clients… file purging. In If I Shred It, Will I Dread It? she answers many, many questions about document destruction and retention. So rest the urge to purge until you have read her post.
- Also writing at Compensation Cafe, Derek Irvine asks the question “What is the role of HR? Where and how can HR make the most difference for the organization?” He uses IBM as a success story in determing the answer in Who Needs “A Seat at the Table” When You Can Do This? Yes, I know he used the dreaded and hated phrase but he justifies it quite well.
- Third entrant is from one of the superstars of the next decade in HR, Trish McFarlane. (@TrishMcFarlane) If you do not know Trish, you need to follow her, she in an HR innovator. In her blog HR Ringleader she asks the question Can Music Impact Employee Performance? Personally I cannot work without music in the background. My son is the same way. So what about you?
- Dan McCarthy is recognized as one of the premier blog writers on Leadership. His blog Great Leadership is widely read. In this post Are You Managing or Just Nagging he helps us understand the difference between performance issues, behavioral issues or pet peeves and how you can handle the difference. I will guarantee many of you will copy this and use his advice in your managerial training or discussions.
- Finally we have Dr. Daniel Crosby who writes Incblot. He writes about persuasion power in Power Up With These Persuasion Techniques. The ability to persuade is a key skill for an effective HR leader. So arm yourself with the knowledge from this great post. You may even want to consider his seminar.
There you have it. Once again I have tried to make your job easier by trying to be your eyes and doing some screening for you in the blogsphere. Good reading.
Sign up for free HR Solutions updates via email