There is a tried and true statement about “walking the talk” that is often applied in business and leadership settings. If there is a disconnect people are uncertain as to what direction they are to take. That works at the level of the Nation as well.
From the recent State of the Union address we have the following quote.
I’ve ordered a review of government regulations. When we find rules that put an unnecessary burden on businesses, we will fix them.
That is the “talk”. What is the “walk’? Here are just a few examples.
- 300 or more Wage & Hour investigators hired
- 150 or more OSHA investigators hired
- Formation of the Nation Equal Pay Enforcement Task Force
- Partnership between the USDOL and the ABA-Approved Attorney Referral System
- Increased ICE investigations on I-9s
- Requirements of all government contractors to be “union friendly”
- Presentation of Craig Becker for a permanent appointment on the NLRB
- Requirement of the NLRB for all companies to post a “right to join the union” poster
These are just some of the actions that cause burdens to businesses. You might be able to come up with others. Or you might feel these don’t cause an unreasonable burden. Let me know.
Sign up for free HR Solutions updates via email